Ramblin’ On, In Lieu of a Decent Post

by jen on January 7, 2008

Oh, hello, is it Monday?

1. I am in a daze, people. It is a sad, sad state of affairs when you get the Blackberry message on Sunday morning at 11:30, when you’ve already been up for two hours SO ANXIOUS, to hear that you don’t have to come in to work that day and you WEEP FROM GRATITUDE.

I am too old for this crap.*

Also, when you have spent many, many hours at work and your poor family and friends call you to check on whether you’ve gone insane or not, you have a tendency, to um, ramble on. Because you’ve had no one to talk to all week except for your coworkers, who do not want to hear about your bed frame issues, they want to know, HAVE YOU FINISHED THOSE UNANIMOUS RESOLUTIONS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS IN LIEU OF A MEETING OR NOT?

OK, no one in my office yells (yet), but anxiety is high, dude. Would you like to check my blood pressure?

2. Before I blogged, I used to, um, have pretend conversations with someone in my head, you know, to work out how I felt about things. Try things on for size, pretending I was telling a story to a friend. You can refine your thoughts in the telling. I realized tonight, walking the 25-minute walk to the Trader Joe’s (exercise + chores, I am the Master of Multitasking. But only because I have to be.): now, IN LIEU, oh good grief, IN LIEU of a pretend conversation with someone, I write a pretend blog entry. Which I never post (see #1). Has this happened to any of you?

3. My Trader Joe’s is like, the mecca of hip. Oh Silver Lake, how do I love thee, let me count the cute, bearded boys toting reusable grocery bags. And you know, I am not. Hip. But luckily! It is also the mecca of WEIRD. In Hollywood, I felt out of place because my boobs didn’t reach my chin. Here, I can wear my glasses — which, HOLY COW I NEED NOW (I really thought I was immune to the curse of my family’s poor eyesight but apparently I just wasn’t doing enough due diligence) — to the store and I fit in. And I can trot out my 1979 Steve Martin Cruel Shoes baseball tee my lovely brother handed down to me and I am golden. Or wear my mother’s 1980 wool sweaters and skirts she bought in London when I was three.* I can be weird here.

4. I have yet to paint but the one nook (see #1), but I finally finished papering my built-ins (see above). I guess, looking at it from an outsider’s perspective, which is what you do when you posted a picture on the interweb, it’s not that exciting. But for me, each shelf represents a place, a period in my life (Paris, South and Central America, China (in dreams), Redding), and that shelf fourth down on the right full of empty vases? Gettin’ shoved aside in 2008. Ramblin’ on.

*Yeah, I turned 31 last Thursday. And worked ’til 11. SWEET. Also, I realized I’ve asterisked TWO ITEMS to remind you it was my birthday. Apparently I need some birthday wishes. I am 12. Well, 31, going on 12.

Michelle January 7, 2008 at 11:45 pm

I just turned 31 or what I like to call, “the anniversary of my turning 21.”

Happy belated bday fellow Cap!

Dawn January 8, 2008 at 3:36 am

Happy birthday! Go buy yourself a drink. Or 12. Maybe closer to 12.

Also, in re: #2: ALL THE DAMN TIME.

mj January 8, 2008 at 5:58 am

Number 2 is totally me. I don’t even blog that often, but there are still unfinished blog posts in my head, mostly about traveling. Sometimes I practice telling old stories to myself to see if I’ve changed how I tell it of if a new part of it is important now.

beth January 8, 2008 at 6:11 am

De-lurking to wish you a Happy Birthday!

Crystal January 8, 2008 at 6:37 am

Happy Bday! My 30th Bday is happening this year. I have been depressed about it. I am sooo not looking forward to turning 30.

Dagny January 8, 2008 at 6:44 am

Happy birthday!

And I think we have all been there at one time or another on #2.

canknitian January 8, 2008 at 6:55 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 31 is AWESOME!

Kathy January 8, 2008 at 7:10 am

I love the way you papered the back wall of each shelf! It looks so nice!

Happy Birthday!

SpaceCase January 8, 2008 at 7:11 am

Happy Birthday!

Also – if I actually wrote down every blog post I wrote in my head, I’d have triple the number of entries. I wake up at night writing blog posts. So you are not alone with that.

-R- January 8, 2008 at 7:36 am

Happy belated birthday!

There are a lot of things I don’t write about publicly, but I write little posts about them in my head to figure stuff out. Oh yes, I do.

I love the bookshelves!

brenda in toronto January 8, 2008 at 9:07 am

well, happy birthday then :)

Bruce January 8, 2008 at 9:19 am

Happy Birthday! 31 is the new 26!

alissa January 8, 2008 at 10:28 am

Also de-lurking to say Happy B-Day to you! I go to the Silver Lake TJ’s too! I’m always concerned about my level of hippness when I’m there as well. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one!

Noelle January 8, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Happy Birthday!

Also, I love your shelves… very creative and quite gorgeous.

Julie C January 8, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Happy B-Day, Jen. U Rule.

Anne January 8, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Happy birthday!! I bet F&E are happy to listen in their own ways…

I’m almost 31, and if I can achieve your level of effortless hipness in the next 4 months I will be thrilled.

Daphne January 8, 2008 at 10:57 pm

For as long as I can remember, I have narrated to myself in 3rd person. And yeah, that translates into lots of unwritten blog posts and unwritten “fiction.”

I also used to fairly frequently have the conversations I couldn’t actually have with people, with myself, out loud (usually imagining their responses except when these imaginary conversations were in french).

And I can never think of “6 weird things about me” for those memes. Actually that’s because I was quite ashamed of some of my quirks until recently.

Happy, happy birthday.

abbersnail January 9, 2008 at 10:49 am

Happy birthday!!! I love a good shameless plug!

carolyn January 9, 2008 at 12:13 pm

hey birthday girl, a) I’m so proud of myself for having remembered your bday before this post! aha!! and b) you have built-in shelving? i’m sorry YOU HAVE BUILT-IN SHELVING. i can’t focus, i feel a little dizzy. ;)

sorry w-o-r-k sucks. same here!!!

Ursula January 9, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Happy Birthday!! Can I blame my incredibly lameness (and forgetfulness) on the storms? My present to you (besides the overdue housewarming/xmas present I’ve yet to send) will be a phone call during which you can ramble on about bed frames, shelving, and work-related stress (or any other stress for that matter). Talk to you soon!

Librarian Girl January 9, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Happy birthday!!!!!

heather January 10, 2008 at 8:33 am

Happy birthday! Happy new year! Delurking and interrupting my inner/outer personal dialogue to say hi and boy do I ever talk to myself. So much so that I often pretend I have been singing as I walk past people who have witnessed my tendency toward crazy.

Katherine January 10, 2008 at 11:42 am

Hello person I don’t know,

With regard to #2, yes, this happens to me all the time. And sometimes I do write a blog post about what I was head-blogging, but then I delete it. But usually I just walk around blogging in my head. I think it’s the result of 8 years of blogging.

I think that’s also why I “narrate my life”. I don’t think I narrate, but all of my friends say I do. So it’s probably true. I’m just too busy narrating to notice.

ANYWAY, I love your set-up in the photo! Verrr cute.

Goodbye person I don’t know!

Christine January 10, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Happy Birthday!

Also, dude, I am applying to jobs now after my somewhat lazy clerkship and I fear the late hours but cannot wait for a more substantial pay check. But man, really, 11? On your birthday? Boo.

Although, if your firm is hiring, I might trek out to California and the land of the boob chin.

Dagny January 10, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Pah! Don’t listen to Bruce. I say 31 is the new 21. Because at 41, folks think I’m 30.

the boogeyman's wife January 12, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Happy Birthday!!

and i’m with everyone else on #2. i read tons, and used to kind of write things in my head, to document them or think through them or something. for a while i got over that until i started blogging. and if i could somehow save it on my hard drive and transfer it to my computer, i’d post way more often.

rg January 13, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Happy (belated) birthday!!!
Hope this year (2009, and 31) is your best yet!

marty January 15, 2008 at 11:02 am

Happy birthday!

I also write pretend blog entries in my head that I never post :)

And I love the papering of the built-in!

Kevin January 19, 2008 at 7:49 am