Starts and Stops

by jen on December 18, 2007

The last couple weeks have been full of starts and stops.

I’ve moved, progress.

Pause.

Of course, I shouldn’t give anything my movers said credence since they spent the entire time complaining about my stairs and the hill that had to be ascended to reach my new apartment.

But whatever. I unpacked that first weekend, progress.

Yet I have no real bed, a side effect of a narrow staircase (box spring wouldn’t fit), which has the extra side effect of making me wake up with one wonky eye every morning (weird, no?).

Pause.

I have painted all of one wall and my dresser, now serving as a buffet and bar because I have no room in the tiny kitchen. Progress, sort of.

I have gone out a few times, including to my firm Christmas party, at which I gave new and fabulous life to The Dress I Wore To My Boyfriend’s Work Party That He Didn’t Like The Night Before He Broke Up With Me. I got an updo! and my lovely new stylist put on fake eyelashes for me!

And afterwards, I met up with Neeta at Little Joy in Echo Park, where I worked my bouffant updo among the hipsters and punksters with pride.

Progress.

And I have wrapped all the presents that aren’t arriving via the magic of the interweb.

Progress.

But I have yet to make the 15 batches of nut brittle for my coworkers, deadline Thursday. A result of my grumpy movers throwing away my baking soda without warning me (WTF?). And if you think I’m going out again tonight in the rain? In LA? Dude, I would not return home by morning.

Pause.

Progress, pause, start, stop, start, stop.

I love the holidays, as I’ve mentioned before, but I can’t wait until it is 2008, when I can build a new routine in my new place, a new rhythm.

When I can just GO, no (or at least fewer) starts and stops.

Dagny December 19, 2007 at 12:26 am

Congrats on the progress that you have made to date. I know that 2008 will be a year of routine. Well, it had better be. If not, I have some words for someone.

Claire December 19, 2007 at 1:42 am

I am so impressed with that wrapping! Seriously, all my gifts are still living in their plastic carrier bags at the moment.

Nice colour on the wall btw :o )

SpaceCase December 19, 2007 at 7:11 am

That’s a ton of progress, from what I can see! The new place looks fabulous, and is that you’re view? Again, fabulous. Wishing you the best for 2008.

julie December 19, 2007 at 9:25 am

maybe get a pet songbird roommate?

Jeanne B. December 19, 2007 at 1:42 pm

“But my apartment is too big and lonely for one person, my movers told me, which I hadn’t thought about until then (thanks!) and now think about a fair amount.”

Wow. How courteous of them to pass along to you their own limiting negative beliefs. What was your thought about the apartment BEFORE this? That’s the one to stick to. If you were happy with it, then be happy with it. Isn’t it nice for them that the movers don’t have to live there? Poor things, they’d be just miserable. :-)

Congratulations on all progress to date! 2008 is gonna be great!

Rebecca December 19, 2007 at 3:48 pm

My boyfriend and I had the same bed problem at his condo. He ended up getting a split box (for a queen bed) spring and now the bed is perfect. They cost a bit more but at least it is an option.

Librarian Girl December 19, 2007 at 4:12 pm

Maybe that was the movers’ lame way of hitting on you? Like, hey single hot lady, you need a roommate and I am just the smarmy dude to fit the bill!

I don’t know which interpretation is worse. One thing is for sure– either way, they are asses.

rae December 20, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Oh, I hear ya. I broke up with my boyfriend (of six years) in June, finally got my own place in September (after couch surfing) and am just getting around to getting my own rhythm. I love, love, love christmas, but this year I just want it to be over so I can start a new year. And that makes me sad. Oh well. I will toast you, and every other person who has had a crappy 2007 and say “Bring on ’08!” It can only get better from here!

Christine December 20, 2007 at 9:17 pm

Bah, I blame crappy weather on my bah-humbug spirit, but you, you have a super cute up-do and stylist working for you! Stop and go, or no, you look absolutely adorable.

Also, ,dude, eff the movers. Apparently too big for one person, but not a real bed? Not possible. Although I empathize on the stair situation as we’ve got ourselves a spiral and while the cat loves it, our backs don’t much love our IKEA boxspring free bed frame. Rats.