Back from NY, ready for NaBloPoMo! A few tidbits:
1. Breakfast with Kates and our NY friend Jason. Jason covets Kates’ cup o’ Joe in the 50-degree NY morning. Who volunteers to head outside in his shirtsleeves for a photo op for me? Jason does, that’s who! Also, when did Kates start glowing?
2. I had forgotten about how fun it is to walk around a real city. LA is a city, yes. But you don’t walk in LA. In NY, you peer into a new restaurant or boutique, contemplate the vibe and perhaps add it to your mental list of places to try next weekend. In LA, you see either a nondescript building or a big neon side, wonder what it is and investigate online. There’s no pleasure of instant discovery on your own.
3. Oh look! It’s me in a state of semi-inebriation! Like I was the entire damn weekend. Be still my aching liver. Also, I may have to invest in one of these.
4. I have already mentioned that Brie is the most fashionable girl I know. Seriously. I want everything in her closet. Except maybe the lobster hat she tried to get me to wear to a Halloween party.
5. Brie is just as distinguishing in her taste for her girlfriends’ boyfriends as she is for her clothes. This is why I was shocked and awed that she actually liked The Boy, whom she met at dim sum. Really, I nearly keeled over when she gave me the thumbs up.
6. Do you think there is a hierarchy among dim sum carts workers? Like, someone always gets dibs on the pork buns while someone else is always stuck with the fried taro? My new idea of hell is to be stuck for eternity pushing a cart of rejected Chinese snacks around tables of oblivious patrons.
7. Best part of returning from a long weekend and finding that it’s suddenly fall in LA? Cats are snuggly.